Top 10 Tips for Caregivers
The National Family Caregivers Association* offers these 10 tips for family caregivers.
- Choose to take charge of your life, and don't let your loved one's illness or disability always take center stage.
- Remember to be good to yourself. Love, honor and value yourself. You're doing a very hard job and you deserve some quality time just for you.
- Watch for signs of depression and don't delay in getting professional help when you need it. Download a printable depression self-assessment from the American Medical Association*.
- When people offer to help, accept the offer and suggest specific things they can do.
- Educate yourself about your loved one's condition. Information is empowering.
- There's a difference between caring and doing. Be open to new technologies and ideas that promote your loved one's independence and help you do your job easier.
- Trust your instincts. Most of the time they'll lead you in the right direction.
- Grieve for your losses, then allow yourself to dream new dreams.
- Stand up for your rights as a caregiver and as a citizen.
- Seek support from other caregivers. There is great strength in knowing that you are not alone.
*This link is provided for convenience only, and is not an endorsement or assurance of the entity or any product or service