- Information for Caregivers
Information for Relatives / Caregivers
Top 10 Tips for Caregivers
The National Family Caregivers Association* offers these 10 tips for family caregivers.
- Choose to take charge of your life, and don't let your loved one's illness or disability always take center stage.
- Remember to be good to yourself. Love, honor and value yourself. You're doing a very hard job and you deserve some quality time just for you.
- Watch for signs of depression and don't delay in getting professional help when you need it. Download a printable depression self-assessment from the American Medical Association*.
- When people offer to help, accept the offer and suggest specific things they can do.
- Educate yourself about your loved one's condition. Information is empowering.
- There's a difference between caring and doing. Be open to new technologies and ideas that promote your loved one's independence and help you do your job easier.
- Trust your instincts. Most of the time they'll lead you in the right direction.
- Grieve for your losses, then allow yourself to dream new dreams.
- Stand up for your rights as a caregiver and as a citizen.
- Seek support from other caregivers. There is great strength in knowing that you are not alone.
*This link is provided for convenience only, and is not an endorsement or assurance of the entity or any product or service
Have comments or questions? Please contact us by completing our online contact form.
Greater Richmond-area calendar, with classes, events, support groups and more from our outstanding family of hospitals.Find the events near you.